ORIX Foundation, the employee-led charitable arm of the Dallas-based financial services company ORIX USA, has made $1,790,900 in grants to nonprofits located where ORIX employees live and work through its annual grant cycle.
ORIX employees, who lead and operate the independent foundation, reviewed and selected 70 organizations making the most difference for at-risk populations in the North Texas and Columbus, Ohio regions. Grants align with the foundation’s mission to advance education, strengthen communities and improve lives.
“ORIX Foundation invests in problem-solvers who address a variety of issues, but they all have one thing in common: they help the most vulnerable children and families overcome challenges and thrive,” said Carol Greene, Director of the ORIX Foundation. “We selected these grantees not only because their missions pulled at our hearts, but also because they made a strong case that their work is worth the investment, that they are creating meaningful change for people who need help the most.”
The most recent round of North Texas grants included $1,543,500 to 60 organizations in six strategic focus areas:
- Education: $430,500 to 18 organizations that prepare children for success through learning, including $82,000 to Big Brothers Big Sisters of Greater Dallas’ Bigs in Blue and Mentor 2.0 programs.
- Children at Risk: $417,500 to 14 organizations that advocate for and protect North Texas children and teens. This includes $78,000 to Vogel Alcove programs that support 3,000 homeless children in Dallas.
- $217,500 to seven organizations to fund programs that boost public health or assist individuals with disabilities. This includes $65,000 to Hope’s Door New Beginning Center, a nonprofit that provides counseling and support to those affected by intimate partner or family violence.
- Basic Needs. $193,500 to seven organizations that provide food, clothing and shelter to families and individuals, including $50,000 to Interfaith Family Services to help end the cycle of poverty for families in Dallas.
- $149,500 to eight organizations that provide intervention programs to build self-sufficiency for individuals and families. This includes $45,500 to Literacy Instruction for Texas (LIFT) for its programs that enhance lives and improve communities by teaching adults to read.
- $135,000 to six organizations that address the specific issues and needs of U.S. veterans and their families. This includes $20,000 for the George W. Bush Presidential Center to support its programs that help veterans develop leadership skills for success in life after service.
In addition to the grants funded in the North Texas area, the foundation gave $247,400 to 10 charities in the Columbus, Ohio region. After reviewing the significant impact of Ohio-area charities, employees chose to increase this year’s investment in Columbus nonprofits by more than $32,000. A $50,000 grant was given to both the Community Shelter Board and YMCA of Central Ohio.
ORIX USA employees established the foundation in 2009 to encourage employee philanthropy and support nonprofits that meet the needs of families and children. The work of the organization continues to be predominantly managed by ORIX USA employees who volunteer countless hours of their time to fundraise, conduct site visits, review grant requests and otherwise operate the foundation. The foundation’s next regular grant cycle opens May 1, 2018. For more information, visit orixfoundation.org.
About ORIX Foundation
ORIX Foundation is a charitable foundation sponsored and managed by ORIX USA Corporation and its employees to advance education, strengthen communities and improve lives. The foundation awards direct grants to not-for-profit organizations and matches the charitable contributions and fundraising of each ORIX USA, RED Capital and Boston Financial Investment Management employee up to $10,000 each year. Since it was founded in 2009, ORIX Foundation has committed more than $12 million to nonprofit organizations in North Texas, home to ORIX USA’s headquarters, and other markets where ORIX employees live and work.
About ORIX USA Corporation
ORIX USA, a subsidiary of ORIX Corporation, provides innovative capital solutions that clients need to propel their business to the next level. Based in Dallas, ORIX USA has a team of more than 700 employees spanning 20 offices across the U.S. and Brazil. ORIX USA and its family of companies offer investment capital and asset management services to clients in the corporate, real estate, municipal and energy sectors, while holding $6 billion of assets and managing an additional $29 billion, approximately. For more information on ORIX USA, visit www.orix.com.